Posted on Jul 6th 2016
A modern dishwasher has a typical life span of between seven and twelve years. By following these simple steps, your dishwasher should live a full life and continue to run efficiently.
1. Clean the filters, which trap excess food from the dishes. In a perfect world the filter should be cleaned after every load. Even cleaning it once a week will prolong the life of your dishwasher.
2. Clean the spray arms. Depending on the model, they are located on either the bottom or top of the dishwasher. Food and/or detergent can accumulate on the arms, blocking the water-distributing holes. When the holes are blocked, the dishwasher runs less efficiently.
3. Maintain the dish racks to prevent rust. Rusted dish racks eventually deteriorate and can break off and damage your pump. If your dish racks become rusted, either fix them with a rack repair kit or replace the rack entirely. Rack repair kits can be found in most hardware stores or online.
4. Before starting the dishwasher cycle, run hot water for ten to fifteen seconds in the kitchen sink. It will warm the water in the pipes and shorten the running time of your dishwasher. The less you run the machine, the longer it will last.
5. Only run the dishwasher when it is full. This will not only save water and energy, but it will also put less strain on your dishwasher. It bears repeating: the less it runs, the longer it will last.
A Brief History of Tide Detergent Washing powders were the first form of laundry detergent, making it easier to clean clothes thoroughly without spending too much time scrubbing. Since then cleaning agent brands began popping up in the market. Procter and Gample’s Tide brand detergent has been around seemingly since washing machines came about. Now owning a whopping 30% [...]
A Brief History of Maytag“Maytag” is a popular American appliance brand which has been catering to both homeowners and business proprietors since it was founded by Frederick Maytag in 1893. While this group was originally titled the Maytag Washing Machine Company, its name was changed in 1925 to Maytag, Inc. Despite hitting a few roadblocks, especially during the Great [...]
A Brief History of Whirlpool Whirlpool, Inc. is an American manufacturer which plays a key role in the home appliance market. The group has eight major facilities for manufacturing, located in Iowa, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Ohio. However, this corporation wasn’t always the giant that it is today. Founded by Louis Upton on November 11th, 1911, the company’s first product originated [...]
A Brief History of Speed Queen Appliances Speed Queen is an American manufacturer of large appliances. Based in Ripon, Wisconsin, this company is a subsidiary of Alliance Laundry Systems LLC, meaning that ALS is its parent company. This group produces a wide variety of commercial as well as residential utility units (everywhere from 25 pound to 250 pound capacities!). [...]
A Brief History of Frigidaire The group Frigidaire originated in 1918 with the acquisition of Guardian Frigerator Company by General Motors. The name change was just the first of many large changes made to this company to put it on the path to success that it was destined to achieve. Now one of the world’s largest manufacturers of refrigerators [...]
How to Clean Your FreezerCleaning the freezer is usually pretty far down the list of kitchen tasks – after all, it pretty much takes care of itself, doesn’t it? Well, not exactly! If you’ve ever spilled any liquid while transferring a container or dish to the freezer and left it there, you’ve got a bad freezer smell waiting to happen. [...]
How to Clean a BlenderEverybody loves smoothies. Who could resist the creamy blend of fresh fruit, juice, yogurt, and ice? What NO ONE enjoys is trying to clean up afterwards. Glass and plastic jar blenders can be etched and scratched by washing in the dishwasher. Hand-washing is quick, and a preferable way to keep your blender clean and looking nice. [...]
How to Clean Your DishwasherThe dishwasher is an essential part of any working kitchen. It guarantees that your dishes and utensils are all disinfected and clean after every use. That is why it’s very important to maintain the cleanliness of your washer. Here are some easy steps to ensure that your dishwasher is in the best shape it can be [...]
How to Clean Your ToasterThe toaster oven is a key component of any busy kitchen. This lovely appliance is responsible for roasting meat, toasting bread, cooking pizza, and many other essential dinner functions. It seems there’s nothing that they can’t do! That’s why, as with any significant item in your life, it’s important to take proper care of your toaster [...]